Saturday, August 27, 2016

Colonel William F. Bartlett to Charles L. Bartlett, June 11, 1864

Baltimore, June 11, 1864.

Dear Father: — I received your letter yesterday, and could not imagine what you meant by “my letter in the ‘Post,’” until I saw the paper which Sallie received. I should have thought you would have known that I never wrote such a letter as that. It is disgraceful, and I will give a month's pay to find out who wrote it. If it was any man or officer of my regiment, I pity him. If there is anything I detest in any officer, it is writing to a newspaper. Please give the enclosed to Mr. Greene. He can make the statement, with authority, without publishing my communication. Or if he prefers, he can do that. I have written to the Editor of the “Springfield Republican” to send me the manuscript, that I may find out who has taken this liberty with my name.

I leave for Washington this afternoon. I have had a very pleasant week here, and am much better than when I left home. I shall see General Augur tomorrow. He was going to see Halleck when I came away, with what result I do not yet know. Will write you from Washington. Love to all.

In haste,
W. F. B.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 103

No comments: