Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Major Robert Anderson to Colonel Samuel Cooper, February 28, 1861

No. 58.
Fort Sumter, S. C.
Feby 28th, 1861.
Colonel:

I have the honor to report that they are continuing the work reported in my communication No 57. I send, herewith, Memoranda, hastily prepared, by the officers of this command, giving their individual opinions as to the number of men which would be required to re-enforce us. The problem is one of considerable difficulty – as the Southern Confederacy have the advantage of knowing the intentions, even, of our Government, and are thus enabled to make suitable preparations- These gentlemen were directed to consider the harbour closed – it is fair to consider that all of the channels would be closed as soon as information is received of the intentions of the Government.

I confess that I would not be willing to risk my reputation on an attempt to throw reenforcements into this harbour, within the time for our relief rendered necessary by the limited supply of our provisions, and with a view of holding possession of the same, with a force of less than twenty thousand good and well disciplined men.

Enclosed is also a sketch of the present appearance of the works on Cummings Point, prepared by Capt Seymour.

I am Colonel,
Very Respectfully,
Your obdt Svt.
Robert Anderson
Major 1st Artillery, Commanding.

No comments: