Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Diary of Corporal Charles H. Lynch: June 29, 1865

After an all-night's ride we arrived in Philadelphia early this morning. Left the cars, taking up the line of march, on through the city. Stopped at the refreshment rooms of the Cooper Shop, when a good breakfast was served by the good people of the city. Many soldiers will remember the Cooper Shop refreshment rooms at Philadelphia. After breakfast again on the march through the city, going on board a ferry-boat, and like Washington we crossed the Delaware River, to Camden and Amboy Railroad station, boarding a train for South Amboy, so we were informed. Leaving Camden, our journey was a continuous ovation by the people along the railroad line through Jersey. Cheers, waving flags. Cities and villages had erected arches with “Welcome home to our soldier boys.” Whenever the train would stop people came with refreshments. They knew the boys were ever ready to eat the good things. The journey across the state of New Jersey was a grand reception. Through a fine country. It was a happy time, and nothing happened to mar the pleasure of the journey. It was a very happy time. Arrived at Amboy all right. It was a great port for coal, an interesting sight for us, never having seen so much coal at any one time. Here we left the cars. After a short march went on board a government transport, bound for New York City. The journey on boat was very pleasant and enjoyed. The trip was along the south side of Staten Island, on through the narrows between Long Island and Staten Island, passing Forts Hamilton and Wadsworth. Large camps were located at the forts. Cheers greeted us as we passed on to the city, landing at the Battery, where the trip ended. At Castle Garden we were served with rations, after which we marched to Peck Slip, along South Street, boarding the steamer Granite State, bound for Hartford. A disappointment to us, as we had expected to land at Norwich, our home town, from which point we left on going to the war. We were used to disappointments and got out of the trip through the East River all the enjoyment we could. Long after dark we lay down on the decks for a little sleep and rest, that we needed very much. We knew that in the night we would be sailing up the Connecticut River. The evening was fine, and the steamboat had on board a happy crowd.

SOURCE: Charles H. Lynch, The Civil War Diary, 1862-1865, of Charles H. Lynch 18th Conn. Vol's, p. 158-9

No comments: