Tuesday, November 8, 2016

William H. Seward to Frances Miller Seward, October 18, 1846

EAGLE TAVERN, [ALBANY, NEW YORK], Oct. 18, 1846.

Every day since my retreat from public life, the profession, which I once so ungratefully despised, has been increasing its rewards, until we are no longer pressed by fear of disaster or sickness; although I have been diverted so often, and so long from lucrative engagements. Our boys are pleasantly obtaining an education, which is a better patrimony than riches. If our comforts do not decrease, and our children have no reason to complain of neglect, we shall have passed through life happier and I hope die better than we should if my earliest schemes of wealth had been accomplished.

SOURCE: Frederick W. Seward, Seward at Washington, p. 32-3

No comments: