Thursday, December 1, 2016

Diary of Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett: Sunday, August 21, 1864

This has been rather a pleasant Sabbath day. I have so much to be grateful for. I had a very good dinner. My appetite has returned. Have been reading Prayer-book and Rogers's “Italy.” To-night smoked my first and only cigar, one that has been in my coat-pocket all the time. Just six weeks ago to-night, at this very time, I went to see Agnes at the homestead. Where shall I be six weeks hence? In our lines? I fear the hope is vain. I wonder if they have been thinking of me at home to-day as much as I have of them. I expect they have not as much spare time. Perhaps they think that now I am out of danger, and on the whole it's rather a good thing!!

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 129

No comments: