Thursday, December 8, 2016

Diary of Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett: Tuesday, August 23, 1864

Another day gone without incident. Holden, who has been in charge of the hospital here, a private in Twenty-third Va., has gone home on a furlough. I must remember him, he has been very friendly. Waters is now in charge. Beat Pat two games chess to-day. I am out of reading. Have taken the Bible. I find it interesting, “Joshua.” Herman Viertel, my Dutchman, washed my pants and handkerchiefs to-day. I have sat in deshabille meantime. Kanna, a man of West Virginia, a prisoner, has been entertaining me with some accounts of his adventuring. If I had paper I would write down things that I hear and see from day to day. It would make a very interesting book. I must try to remember them all. I fear I shan't do justice to some of them.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 130

No comments: