Wednesday, December 28, 2016

John Hay to John G. Nicolay, April 9, 1862

Executive Mansion,
Washington, April 9, 1862.

Glorious news comes borne on every wind but the South Wind. While Pope is crossing the turbid and broad torrent of the Mississippi in the blaze of the enemy's fire, and Grant is fighting the overwhelming legions of Beauregard at Pittsburg, the little Napoleon sits trembling before the handful of men at Yorktown afraid either to fight or run. Stanton feels devilish about it. He would like to remove him if he thought it would do.

Things go on here about as usual. There is no fun at all.  . . . I am getting along pretty well. I only work about twenty hours a day. I do all of your work and half of my own now you are away. Don't hurry yourself. We are getting on very well. I talk a little French too now. I have taken a great notion to the Gerolts. I went to see them the other day. The children were less scared than usual, and they and Madame la Baronne talked long and earnestly of the state of your hygiene, and said “it was good intentions you for to go to the West for small time.”

SOURCES: Clara B. Hay, Letters of John Hay and Extracts from Diary, Volume 1, p. 57-8; Tyler Dennett, Lincoln and the Civil War in the Diaries and Letters of John Hay, p. 40-41 in which to full letter appears.

No comments: