Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Diary of Lieutenant-Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes: Wednesday, July 30, 1862

I set the men to drilling in the new target practice. Rode with Bottsford over to see Mrs. Lilley, an old lady whose husband, James Lilley, lately died at Camp Chase in prison. Her son James is still there. As the only male member of the family old enough to do work, I am inclined to ask for his release. Her daughter Emily, a well-appearing young woman, is accused of giving the information which led to bushwhacking Captain Gilmore's cavalry. I hope it is not so.

I received today letters from Stephenson and Herron and an order from Columbus “authorizing” me to assist in raising a regiment, the Seventy-ninth. I don't know what to think of all this. Am I required to go home and assist?

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 313

No comments: