Thursday, April 13, 2017

George L. Stearns to John Brown, May 19, 1857

Boston, May 19, 1857.

Your favor of the 13th was received yesterday. Mr. Lawrence agreed with me that the one thousand dollars should be made up for you, and requested me to write you so. The next day he sent me a note stating that he had written to Mr. Smith to receive from him six hundred dollars, and let you mortgage for four hundred dollars. I learn to-day from Mr. Sanborn that Gerrit Smith intends to aid you in this, and also obtain something for your enterprise in his neighborhood. My agreement with Mr. Lawrence was that he having five hundred and fifty dollars towards the one thousand dollars, I would be responsible for one-half of the deficiency, if he would provide the other half, and when he returns I shall tell him he must fulfil the agreement with me. He will be home the 1st of June.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 409

No comments: