Friday, February 9, 2018

Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant to Edwin M. Stanton, January 6, 1865 – 5:30 p.m.

CITY POINT, VA., January 6, 1865 — 5.30 p.m.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War, Fort Monroe, Va.:

I am just in receipt of a letter from Sherman, asking me to re-enforce Foster so that he will not be compelled to leave a division of his army there. Please say to Sherman that I will send the division now embarking at Baltimore. They probably will reach him two days after you do. I wrote to Sherman some time ago to direct Foster to organize negro troops to do garrison duty. Please say to Sherman that if Foster will go to work and organize colored troops they can garrison the forts and islands, leaving all of his white troops for Savannah and the camp at Pocotaligo, enabling the division which I now send to return in the spring, if necessary.

U.S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 47, Part 2 (Serial No. 99), p. 18

No comments: