Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Gustavus V. Fox to Montgomery Blair, Thursday, April 18, 1861 – 12:30 a.m.

You will see that the surrender came from them, not from the Major — a very important point.

Major A. felt hurt at what he thought was the neglect of Govt in not informing him of various matters. He also felt badly towards me, at not telling him everything when I visited the fort. Now, however, he appreciates my delicacy in not going beyond my written order. I also explained the reasons for holding the fort, far superior to any military ones, and told the Major that I thought the Govt would feel particularly gratified at the result.

I may not get my report off to-day to the Secy of War so you may read this to him if you think best.

I have just written Major Anderson's dispatch to the Secy of War and sent it to Sandy Hook to be forwarded by telegraph.

Thursday 18th inst.
12.30 A.M.     

SOURCE: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 36

No comments: