Sunday, December 9, 2018

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, December 25, 1859

Seminary, Dec. 25, 1859.

Dear General: . . . I wish to be understood as perfectly willing that encampments should be inaugurated at once, but only that I, comparatively a stranger, should not seem disposed to make this too military, against or with the lukewarm consent of the people of Louisiana. The proper rule is for me to execute the decrees of the legal authorities, leaving them to determine the objects of the Seminary.

I take pleasure in informing you that our mathematical books have arrived and I will send for them to-morrow. The publisher deducts ten per cent for cash. So that I advise you to cause the cashier of the Mechanics' and Traders' Bank to remit to A. S. Barnes and Brown . . . the sum of $448.65 to the credit of the “Seminary of Learning.” A prompt business-like mode of payments will give us good credit, and be of vast service to us, should we ever get into a tight place. I am satisfied our present funds are sufficient, and in a few days, we will be reimbursed in full, by the sale of these books and furniture to the cadets.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I am uneasy about the steward being fully ready. I have his sub-steward here at work as cook, he got supper and breakfast. Our range requires more draft than the flues in the side-chimney afforded. I changed it to the inner large fireplace, walling up its front, and it now works to a charm. I also apprehended a scarcity of wood. I have failed in every effort to get negroes, or men to cut and draw wood. Can you advise when they are to be had. Or if you can send or cause to be sent two, immediately, I will give them a month's employment, trusting to Jarreau's boys after that. He has only three left that are worth a sou, and he will need two of them. It will take the three girls every day this week to clean up.

I have also offers from New York for our clothing, much more satisfactory than any in New Orleans. Coat from $13 to $16, vest and pants from $3.50 to $4.00; samples of cloth are with the offer. A beautiful suit of good flannel - navy - all wool, can be made, coat $7, pants $4, vest $3, a really beautiful article. I have also samples for overcoats from $10 to $16. After the arrival of cadets by taking their measures carefully, sending them on, I would in six weeks have everything delivered. It can't be done at all in Alexandria. In New Orleans I found too many if's and and's: New York is the great commercial center of America, and it would be in my judgment extreme squeamishness to pay more for a worse article elsewhere.

If prejudice, non-intercourse, such as Mr. Manning evinced is to restrict me in supplies, we shall be at a stand still soon enough, for I assure you, New Orleans could not fill our small orders for books, which left New York the day my letter reached the publisher. Admitting we buy in New Orleans, your merchants there are northern men or would at once order of northern men, thus subjecting us to double profits and commission. Of course in matter of clothing, arms, and accoutrements I will not be called on to act till after cadets are here, and I know I will see you in the mean time.

I have been quite unwell for two days. I attributed it to an attempt at chicken-pie by our old cook, but since the receipt of yours I suspect the oysters. This cause and my unwillingness to entrust our property here to irresponsible servants deter me from accepting your kind invitation for to-day, as also a similar one from Mr. Henarie and Professor Vallas. My Christmas pleasure must consist of thinking of my little family, enjoying as I know they do all they could wish, in their snug home at Lancaster. . .

I'm afraid from our frequent letters, the Post Master will think we have commenced courting again.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 91-3

No comments: