Friday, May 29, 2020

Amedée Couturie to Major-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 10, 1862 — 9 p.m.

NEW ORLEANS, Saturday, May 10, 18629 p.m.
Maj. Gen. B. F. BUTLER, U.S. Army,
Commanding Department of the Gulf, New Orleans:

SIR: Herewith inclosed I have the honor to transmit to you a statement of facts which transpired in my consular office during the afternoon of this day, duplicates of which statement I am about to transmit to the minister of my Government, accredited at Washington, and also to the minister of foreign affairs at The Hague. I desire to know whether the acts recited in said statement were performed with your sanction or by your orders. Your answer, or a faithful copy thereof, shall accompany my messages to my ministers and Government.

I have the honor to be, respectfully, your obedient servant,

 AM. COUTURIE,                
Consul of the Netherlands.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series III, Volume 2 (Serial No. 123), p. 119

No comments: