Monday, March 20, 2023

Dr. Spencer G. Welch to Cordelia Strother Welch, May 7, 1863

Camp Gregg, Va.,        
May 7, 1863.

We have just returned from the field of the great battle. It was a complete victory for us. It was a terrible fight. Our brigade charged on their breastworks and took them. Edwin and Billie were both in it. Edwin was not touched, but Billie had two bullet holes through his clothes. He was not hurt, though. We have had a very hard time of it for seven or eight days. My mind and body are so worn out that I will not write any more, but will to-morrow or next day. When I write again I will write the particulars. Edwin, Billie and I are in good health.

Good-by for the present.

SOURCE: Dr. Spencer G. Welch, A Confederate Surgeon's Letters to His Wife, p. 49

No comments: