Monday, April 15, 2024

Diary of Captain Joseph Stockton, December 1, 1862

First day of winter; rained in torrents all night; we were without shelter and had to take the soaking. I kept one side of myself dry at a time by standing in front of large log fire-when my back was dry I would turn around and dry the front of my body. Part of the time I slept sitting against a tree with my rubber blanket over my head, while my legs got soaked. About 2 o'clock we saw a large light to the south of us which proved to be a bridge which the rebels had set on fire as our troops got up to it. This morning I had a daylight view of the different camps; the sun was shining, making the scene a beautiful one.

SOURCE: Joseph Stockton, War Diary (1862-5) of Brevet Brigadier General Joseph Stockton, p. 5

No comments: