Friday, April 19, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to Lucretia Hart Clay, December 28, 1849

WASHINGTON, December 28, 1849.

MY DEAR WIFE,—There is a bundle of papers in my office up stairs, inclosed in a pasteboard paper, and tied up with tape, containing the letters from General Taylor to me. Among them is one from him to me, dated at Monterey, in Mexico, I think, in September, 1847. He and I differ about the contents of that letter; and I wish you would find it, and get Thomas to make and send me a neat copy of it, and put up the original back again where you find it.

I am still staying at the National Hotel, where I have a good parlor and bed-room, for which and my board I pay thirty dollars per week. The British Minister occupies rooms near mine, and I yesterday dined with him. He has his wife with him, a niece of the Duke of Wellington, a plain, but sensible person.

I have dined with the President, but declined to dine with Clayton and Reverdy Johnson, on account of a bad cold. These people are all civil with me, but nothing more.

From everybody, of both parties, I receive friendly attentions and kind consideration.

My love to John.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 594-5

No comments: