Sunday, July 21, 2024

Senator John C. Calhoun to James Edward Calhoun, July 9, 1848

Washington 9th July 1848

MY DEAR JAMES, . . . The Senate is engaged in a debate on the Oregon territorial bill. It has been very able and high toned on the part of the South, with a great concurence of views between the Whigs and the democratick members of the South. I do hope our present danger will bring about union among ourselves on the most vital to us of all questions. All other questions ought to be dropt. In Union lies our safety. I opened the debate on our side.1 My speech will be printed in pamphlet form in a few days when I will send you one. Most of my friends think it the best I ever made, and if I may judge from the number of applications I have received for copies from the North will be in great demand there. It is difficult to say, what will be done. The present appearance is against the prospect of doing anything. I would not be surprise[d], if Congress should adjourn and leave things just as they are. It will not probably be in session more than a month longer.
_______________

1 Speech of June 27, 1848. Works, IV, 479–512.

SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 759

No comments: