Friday, June 6, 2008

Letter from Capt. Samuel Denny

St. Louis Mo.
Nov. 18, 1863

Dear Brother: -

In order that you may know some of my trials since I have been in the service, I will commence by saying that I made up a company of men in about 15 days and led them into the field; and I believe they were as good and brave as any set of men that ever used a gun; but poor fellows, a number of them are now in their graves. We have been in several hard fought battles, and were at the siege of Vicksburg. From the first of December to the middle of May I lost 23 men, and have lost several since. My company numbered only 42 the last time I heard from it. Owing to not being able for field duty I was sent to Madison Ind. To take command of the post there. After about three months I was transferred from that post to the Invalid corps and ordered to this city and put in charge of a compan[y] of 80 men. We are now ordered to C[olum]bus, Ohio, for which place we shall probably leave in a few days.

In intend to come and see you when the war is over, though I am now commissioned as a U.S. Officer and can remain in the service after the war is over if I choose, which I may do if I feel it my duty. It was from a sense of duty that I shut my Bible, closed up my business, left my family and the church, and went forth in defence [sic] of my country; and though I have shed my blood and suffered a great deal in the cause, I do not regret the hour I started.

There is nothing pleasant about the service, though I do not dislike it as much as I thought I should. Money however, could not tempt me to leave a comfortable home and happy family for the hardships of war. But my country demands my services and [I] intend she shall have them until this re[bellion] is closed up, - until the last gun is

[The rest of the letter is fragmented & illegible.]

- Published in The Union Sentinel, Osceola, Iowa, December 26, 1863

No comments: