Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stone’s River Campaign 26 December 1862 - 5 January 1863, Volume 1: The Union Army

As a general rule I usually stay away from self-published books, but after reading recent posts by Drew Wagenhoffer & Brett Schulte I decided to dash out to Stones River National Battlefield and check out Lanny K. Smith’s Stone’s River Campaign 26 December 1862 - 5 January 1863, Volume 1: The Union Army. I asked the park ranger about the book and he grabbed one right off the shelf for me and gushed about the book, telling me that he’d never seen anything like it. At 723 pages (those are 8 ½ by 11” pages and a pretty small font) it’s the most scholarly and detailed book yet written about the Stones River Campaign. In fact he was so excited about it that he asked me if I knew when volume two, covering the Confederate Army, is going to be printed. With five relatives that fought here (Stones River National Battlefield is just across town), I’m anxiously waiting to read it, as its narration of troop movements is detailed down to the regimental level. I don’t know exactly when I’m going to get the chance to read it, rest assured when I do I’ll post a review here. If you should be interested in obtaining a copy, click on the link above, but you’d better act fast as Mr. Smith printed a limited run of 330 copies. I have # 39.

No comments: