Saturday, October 18, 2008

Frank R. Milton Letter: Jany 6th 1865



Head-Quarters Post of Nashville,
Nashville, Tenn. Jany 6th, 1865

Dear Father,

Your welcome letter of Jany 1st was received last night and I was pleased to hear from you No, I am not homesick, but of course I would like to be home a few days to see you all. I have no reason to be homesick for I am a great deal more comfortably situated than most soldiers and am very thankful of it. I am so much obliged to receive a box from home and thank you heartily for sending it. I met Mr. Caffat last night he is Sutler of the 12th. Iowa, and was very glad to see him or anybody from Dubuque.

I am very sorry indeed to hear of your being unwell and sincerely hope that you will be better. I don’t see why you should not succeed in your business. You have the best trade of any of them in Dubuque, and I am confident that you will prosper. So you have gone in to “mining” again. That is the most uncertain business of them all and it is my earnest wish that you will make a big strike. I wrote to you a few days ago and requested you to send me a few things. I would not have asked you but we do not get paid untill March and perhaps not then and I am entirely out of the things I asked for. The 5th were in a fight and Henry Saulsbury my old “partner”was wounded, but not dangerously. Capt. Moreing acted very disgracefully he got the boys in a tight place and then left them. Charley Weigel (Sergt, and a braver soldier never rode a horse) led them out. Willie Andrew is all right, but is not here he is “front” with Gene Thomas Army Moving is not thought much of in fact very few of the officers in the regiment have a good standing. I am so glad I am not with the regiment. I think my getting a commission is not very favorable just now. But if I could get an appointment in some regiment from the state that will be raised under this new call 300.00 I would take it. I will send recommends from the Staff and if you could get some influential man with the Governor to put this thing through I would be greatly obliged, one of the clerks has just received our appointment in the 14th U.S.C.T. I would never accept a commission in a nigger regiment. You know a great deal more of the news than we do only what goes on the Past command Kiss the girls and Mother and Fred. with love to all and many wishes for your speedy recovery I remain

Your Affectionate Son
Frank R. Milton

No comments: