Friday, April 10, 2009

From Nashville

Editor Courier:

As much anxiety exists because so few letters are received from the Ohio Regiments engaged in the battles at and near Murfreesboro, if you think best, you may say that my son, who has been in the hospital in Nashville since December 15th, writes me:

January 1st – The mail does not go out or come in, because there is no way to carry it through. I will add to this until there is a mail to Louisville, or some place where it may start for home.

January 6 – It is reported that the mail is running to Bowling Green, and thence by some way other than railroad, north. Col. Moody is badly wounded; shot several times. I cannot hear from my company or regiment. I know one of our company wounded in the arm, William Edgill, of Blue Rock, one of the men who was buried in the coal bank a few years since.

January 7 – I found out last night that there is no mail. Mr. S. Ward, of Indiana is here and is about to return with a discharged soldier; will take this and mail it in Indiana.

The Letters dated as above were received this A.M. mailed at Evansville, Indiana, the 12th.

T. J. Taylor
January 14th, 1863

– Published in the Zanesville Daily Courier, Zanesville, Ohio, Wednesday, January 14, 1863

No comments: