Thursday, August 6, 2009

To The Soldiers Aid Societies Of Iowa

LADIES:– The severest battle ever fought on this continent has just taken place. Thousands of our brave men are wounded, and a vast amount of hospital supplies will be necessary to render them comfortable.

You have done nobly – have contributed your full share of hospital supplies and comforts; no hospitals in the service have been so well provided for as those of our Iowa regiments, but our regimental hospitals have been broken up, and our sick and wounded are being placed in post hospitals, many of them unprovided for and our efforts must be in proportion to the demand upon us.

This battle will be followed by a vast amount of sickness, owing to the hardships attending the battle, and the exposure consequent upon a heavy fall of rain for several consecutive days since its occurrence. Another battle is imminent; if the Confederates do not attack our forces, an advance will doubtless very soon be made upon Corinth. Let us be prepared for the result however fearful it may be.

I arrived here immediately after the battle with about $5,000 dollars worth of your hospital goods. Some generous friends in Cairo supplied me with butter and oysters, and have since sent me a heavy shipment of ice, so that I have had the means to accomplish a vast amount of good, and I have done all that I could do. Since my arrival here I have worked almost day and night, distributing goods, making soap, and doing what I could for the comfort of our wounded, but my resources will very soon be exhausted.

Most of the wounded will be removed to the loyal States, but in view of the number of sick likely to accumulate here – the large number of wounded at Savannah, nine miles below here, and the battle in anticipation, I would advised that a heavy lot of goods similar in character to those you have been accustomed to furnish be at once prepared and sent to me, “care of Partrage & Co., St. Louis, Mo.,” who will forward them to me immediately as I may direct. Send a bill of contents to Miss Lou Knowles, Keokuk, Iowa, and place another bill in the box. Mark “Hospital Stores” on the outside of the box, and also the name of the place from whence they come. Address me “Cairo, Ill.,” as my mail is forwarded from that point. I will make a full report to you as soon as possible.

I am, very respectfully yours. &c.,

ANNIE WITENMYER
Cor. Sec. and Gen’l Agent S. A. Society.

Pittsburg Landing, April 12th, 1862
Papers throughout the State please copy.

– Published in the Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, April 26, 1862, p. 2

No comments: