Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rachel M. Bolles to Lorenzo Bolles, Jr., March 28, 1863

Sand Spring [Iowa]
Saturday eve 28th March, 1863

My Dearest Husband,

I had made up my mind if I did not get a letter from you today to sit down and write you a good long old fashion love letter but yours came so loaded with love that I need pay extra on it but I don’t care for that. (I mean yours of 15th and 23rd) It expresses my own feelings so well and makes me feel so nicely that I think I will write until I feel low spirited. That won’t be a great while. I presume though I have done pretty well I think under the circumstances. Am in good health. So are the children. Anna has been unwell with a cold on her lungs. A bad cough. She has had a good many such sick spells since she had the diphtheria. She is nearly well now. Carrie wanted to know if you did they pay anything for the milk that we let them have? Don’t intend to say anything about it but have often thought I should like to know but don’t want to ask her.

Marsk is fencing in a lot for the sheep from the SW corner of the barnyard to Hubbard’s fence then from the corner of the pig pen to Bowen fence. We have eleven lambs now. Mr Campbell is quite sick with lung fever. Has been raising blood. They are boarding at Sherwood’s. Mr Greer has buried another child. Has 2 left out of 6. Mr Clines buried another this week, I had a letter from E Spalding this week with $3.00 to pay taxes. He know you are in the Army and yet writes as though you was at home. Has been to Eastbard. Saw your father, Mr Taylor called here today. Said he could do nothing about Mr Warner’s taxes. Should let it remain until you come home then you could attend to it with your own. So you see it must fall to your lot after all to take care of all these folks taxes.

I have an excellent letter from our old friend, Deborah will send it to read. Please send it back. You will see what she says about taxes in behalf of others perhaps you had better write to Doc Holding. I don’t know what to tell them. I will send you a stamp. You say you will answer somebody’s letter that I sent you. I have sent so many that I don’t know which you mean. Did you get Brother Patters letter?


Sabbath eve.

I must get this ready to go in the morning. Don’t know where it will find you but I hope in a good place, well and happy. Wish you was here tonight. It would be so pleasant to have your company. The children have all gone to bed. Anna is in the cradle by my side so I do not feel that I am all alone. She is a great deal of company for me both night and day. Carrie’s last request before going to bed was to send her love and Ann’s to Father and tell him not to forget Anna. I think she sent you a short letter in one of mine. She thinks it rather strange that you don’t answer it.

I have been to meeting today. It was rather hard for Brother Bell to get into the works but after he did he done very well. The largest half of the congregation was children. Saw Mr Boldin. Gave Brother Bell some money. They feel obliged to pay him and I am glad they do though nobody likes him. I wish they were obliged to give me something for the services that you have rendered them. Perhaps I shall get along just as well with out it. I never have suffered yet. Don’t think I ever shall. I hope not at least.

It is bedtime and I must go to bed. If you was not pretty good on reading writing also spelling I should not dare send this.

Are your old shirts and stockings worn out yet? If you have any old clothes that I can make use of when you come home take them along if you can.

I must close. Wish you a good nights rest and sweet dreams.

From your affectionate wife,

R M Bolles

Sand Spring, March 29th 1863

I have sent you all the Republicans that have come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.