Sunday, July 24, 2011

Capt. R. M. Littler

DAVENPORT, March 10, 1862.

EDITOR OF GAZETTE:  Upon my arrival in your city on Saturday last, I was greatly shocked at the reports in circulation denouncing Capt. Bob. Littler and his gallant conduct in the late battle at Fort Donelson. – Whilst I know these reports to be totally groundless, I cannot imagine how a man can be so fallen in his own opinion, as he certainly must be, and in the opinion of the world, as to give utterance to such base and cowardly fabrications.  I do not wish to enter into any lengthy detail upon the subject, as I deem it unnecessary, for, by his own statement in your last issue, he gives ample chance for investigation.  But, in justice to Capt. Bob, his friends, his company and his regiment, I will give a statement of the facts, as they came under my observation.

On the afternoon of the 15th of February, when the 2d Iowa made the charge on the enemy’s breast-works, Capt. Bob. Littler was in the hottest part of the fight.  When the enemy opened fire upon us, Maj. Chipman and Capt. Littler were almost side by side.  Our men were falling all around.  I saw Maj. Chipman fall, and heard Capt. Littler give the order to his men, “Close up men; close up.”  In a moment we were inside their breast-works, and all mingled together.  Federals and rebels.  ‘Twas then I first lost sight of him, for there was no time then to see what the next man to you was doing; it was every man for himself, fighting for life or death.

Sometime after, I should judge about an hour, when the firing had somewhat ceased, I again saw him supporting one of his men who was wounded.  I approached him and passed some few remarks with him concerning the battle, and knowing that he was very sick when he went on the field, scarcely able to stand up, I requested him to leave it.  I told him, as surgeons were scarce, he could be of more service taking care of his wounded men than he could be on the field.  I did not again see him until towards dark, when the firing had ceased and I had supported a wounded man to our camp near the field. – There I saw him binding a handkerchief around one of the men.  He remained with the men, doing all he could to relieve their sufferings, until after dark, when they were removed to the hospital.  I then procured some blankets for him to lie down upon, and bidding him good night left for my own quarters.

From his conduct that day, I say he is no coward, but proved himself a brave man.  The very man I should like to again enlist under in case of another war.  These, sir, are the facts.

JULES MEREDITH,
Principal Musician, 2d Iowa Infty.


I certify to the above.

F. M. SUITER,
Orderly-Sergeant Co. B.


The above statements are correct in every detail, as near as I could learn while at Fort Donelson, and the day I left Capt. Littler was officer of the day.

DR. G. W. McCARN

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Tuesday Morning, March 11, 1862, p. 1

No comments: