Monday, July 4, 2011

Grenville M. Dodge, Colonel 4th Iowa Infantry, to Nathaniel B. Baker, Adjutant General of Iowa, August 2, 1861

 Head-Quarters fourth Regiment Iowa Volunteers,
Camp Kirkwood, near Council Bluffs, Iowa, Aug. 2, 1861.

G E N Baker
Adjutant Genl.
State of Iowa

Dear Sir

Under instruction of the Governor of Iowa, I provided to Washington & provided for the state 2000 muskets & accoutrements these arms were given to the state in the pledge of the state through the Governor that 1000 stand of these arms should be sent to the 4th Reg. Iowa Volunteers for their use until furnished further arms from the U.S. the Government thinking that we might be obliged to move on the border before we were ordered away (which has proved true).  I have also received notice of the shipment of those arms to be together with a letter from the Governor carrying out the agreement with the war department.  Those arms I understand have been taken and disturbed by the former Adj. General by what authority I know not.  Today the war department notifies me that their guns will be used by my regiment for the present, and instructs me if necessary to take them out of the state the same instructions given by the Governor.  I ask an examination of this matter.  I do not like to be [found] to distribute the first order issued to me by the war department especially when I pledged the war department by directions of the Governor that the arms should be used as directed by them.  I trust the arms will be sent me including enough at least (say 700) (I have 200) with accouterments so that my command can be armed.  You will receive report in few days of the command that went to the Missouri line for protection of our border. 

I am very Respectfully
Your obt servant,

G. M. Dodge
Col. Comd. 4th Reg. I. V.




SOUCE:  This letter is listed for sale HERE by Museum Quality Americana.

No comments: