Friday, June 8, 2012

The Tuscarora and Nashville


The London American publishes the following letter, written by the Captain of the U. S. steamer Tuscarora:


U. S. STEAMER SUSCARORA, OFF COWES
February 5, 1862.

Dear Sir – the British Government have just added a brilliant chapter to their page of history in the escape of the pirate steamer Nashville.  The want of good faith that has been exhibited toward me would, in all of its details require a longer time to record than I have at my disposal.  Let it suffice that, from the 10th of January to the 28th I have been constantly beset with rules, which were each week changed, each week made more stringent, and gave every advantage to the pirate, which they desired to turn loose upon our commerce.  Finally, on the 29th I was peremptorily ordered to leave the port.  Accordingly on the 30th I departed, but as it was blowing heavy gale, I came to anchor in Yarmouth Roads.  The gale over, I on the 1st went to sea arrived in the channel, and returned here on the 3rd, to fill up my coal and learn the news.

No sooner did I drop my anchor than the fact was communicated by telegraph to those interested at Southampton Capt. Patey, R. N. was, by my friends in Southampton, seen then to go on board the Nashville in uniform.  He remained but a few minutes, and left her for the dispatch boat.  Both steamers then left the wharf.  Signal at the same time was made to the Shannon, lying near me, to get under weigh.  This maneuver was witnessed without knowing the meaning, until the Nashville hove in sight, with the dispatch boat in company.

Capt. Patey immediately came on board of my vessel to inform me that I could not depart until the required interval of twenty-four hours had elapsed.

I cannot help believing and saying that evident collusion existed in this whole plan of escape.

I have not time to say more – I am off for a cruise.  Can’t coal in British dominions for three months.  Will let you hear from me in a few days.   Most truly yours.

T. AUGUS. CRAVEN

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, March 15, 1862, p. 2

No comments: