Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Major Thomas J. Jackson to Mrs. Clementine Neal, January 21, 1860

LEXINGTON, VA., Jan. 21st, 1860.

I am living in my own house, I am thankful to say, as, after trying both public and private boarding, I have learned from experience that true comfort is only to be found in a house under your own control. I wish you could pay me a visit during some of your leisure intervals, if you ever have such. This is a beautiful country, just on the confines of the Virginia Springs, and we are about fourteen miles from the Natural Bridge. . . . What do you think about the state of the country? Viewing things at Washington from human appearances, I think we have great reason for alarm, but my trust is in God; and I cannot think that he will permit the madness of men to interfere so materially with the Christian labors of this country at home and abroad.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 132

No comments: