Monday, May 12, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, September 13, 1862

CAMP ON HERNANDO ROAD, NEAR MEMPHIS,
Sept. 13, 1862.
MY DEAR WIFE:

I have just returned from an expedition into Mississippi made by our brigade, upon forced marches every day. We have had some skirmishing with guerilla bands, have killed ten, wounded a large number, and taken nearly an hundred prisoners, with mules, horses, and other property. I rode many miles for the past four days, have been almost constantly in the saddle, day and night. I find your very affectionate letter of the 3d inst. and the beautiful poem you have written about the battle. I will reply to your letter at length to-morrow; now have just time to acknowledge its receipt and say I am well, for you are doubtless worried at not hearing from me. There is a good deal of excitement about Memphis. We are expecting reinforcements. I have changed my camp some four miles from where my last letter was dated. The locality is a better one.

Do not suppose I am troubled about military matters; your letter goes to show an anxiety about me in that regard. If I cannot have a brigade of my own, I had rather be brigaded under Morgan L. Smith than any other man I know of, though he is a terribly strict disciplinarian. The brigade has a great reputation for drill, marching and fighting qualities, and is really the crack brigade of the Southwestern army.

I have unlimited confidence in Sherman, who is a great man and a great general; therefore I am as well situated as one can hope to be in the volunteer service. It is only in the regular army where officers can hope for comfort or relief from the thousand vexations and annoyances consequent to a lack of thorough discipline.

Your lines are very beautiful; one or two lines not to be excelled. I wish we could collect all you have written. Do you know where a copy can be had of the lines to your grandmother?

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 237

No comments: