Sunday, July 27, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, September 27, 1863

Headquarters Second Brigade,
Second Div., Seventeenth Army Corps,
Natchez, Miss., Sept. 27, 1863.

My Dear Wife:

My reception at Natchez has been very brilliant, splendid dinners, suppers — all that sort of thing, with speeches, and songs, mirth and hilarity. My command is magnificent. I have six regiments, and a battery, one regiment cavalry, one of mounted infantry. My quarters are literally a palace, one of the most elegant houses in or about Natchez, situated in the most lovely grounds you can imagine, within about a mile from the city.

My troops are all camped close around me on the grounds of neighboring villas, which, combined, have heretofore given the name of “Dignity Hill” to my own general encampment. One of my regiments is in town on duty as provost guard. The residue keep close guard and watch upon their chief, and no baron in feudal hall ever had more loyal subjects. The rides and walks about are all most charming, especially at this season of the year, and I am in a constant state of regret that you cannot be here to enjoy it with me. If there was any indication as to how long I am to remain, I would send for you; but I may be ordered away at a moment's notice. Indeed, I have no expectation of staying here more than eight or ten days at the furthest. I shall either be ordered back to Vicksburg or directed into the field. Meanwhile I shall take the good the gods provide me.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 338-9

No comments: