Sunday, July 27, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to the Senate of Iowa, February 28, 1860

To the Senate

February 28, 1860

From the Journal of the Senate, p. 340
__________

EXECUTIVE OFFICE, February 28, 1860.
Gentlemen of the Senate:

I have received the resolution, passed by your body on yesterday, asking certain information in regard to a demand made upon me by the Governor of Virginia, for the arrest and surrender of one Barclay Coppoc, as a fugitive from justice.

I have examined that resolution with much care, and have very reluctantly arrived at the conclusion, that I ought not to answer it. I readily admit the propriety of giving to the public full information on this subject, and shall promptly communicate all facts within my knowledge, in any way connected therewith, whenever I can do so consistently with my self-respect, and with the respect and consideration which, in my judgment, are due to the department of our government which, for the time being, I have the honor to represent. I cannot, however, do so in response to a resolution which assumes that, in this matter, I have done acts which the common judgment of your body would pronounce to be improper in any person holding my official position.

This assumption, utterly unfounded as it is, I cannot either respond to or deny, without admitting, by implication, that the suggestion thereof was authorized by the facts of the case.

I cannot believe it was the well considered intention of your body, to embrace such assumption in your resolution, but am satisfied that your action in this matter, took its present objectionable form through oversight and inadvertence.

For these reasons, I very respectfully return said resolution, that you may have the opportunity of giving it further consideration.

SAMUEL J. KIRK WOOD.

SOURCE: Benjamin F. Shambaugh, editor, The Messages and Proclamations of the Governors of Iowa, Volume 2, p. 378-9

No comments: