Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Congressman James A. Garfield to Corydon E. Fuller, October 3, 1865

Hiram, O., October 3, 1865.

My Dear Corydon: — Your welcome letter of the 26th is received. It finds me at home, and, for the time being, a cripple. Four weeks ago I sprained my ankle precisely where it was sprained thirteen years ago, when we roomed together. You remember what a long siege I had with it then. I have not yet been able to use it, more than to bear a part of my weight upon it, and the rest on a cane. Indeed, I have had some fear that, in view of the former hurt in the same joint, it would be permanently injured, but I hope not.

I am greatly distressed to hear that your health is failing, so much so that you are compelled to resign your position in Washington. I beg of you to take all pains to restore your health first of all.

I was hard at work in the State campaign when my accident occurred. Since then I have made no speeches, nor shall I be able to make any more during the campaign. The early part of the season I was engaged in the oil business, and hope yet to realize something from my investments in that direction. I am trying to do a good deal of reading to prepare myself for the struggle which will be upon us when the 39th Congress meets. I look forward with great anxiety, not unmixed with alarm, at the signs of the times in the immediate political future. I fear that President Johnson is going too fast on the road toward reorganization. I fear it leads too far into rebeldom. I agree with you, that it would at least be decent to wait until the grass is green on the graves of our murdered patriots.

Your letter has made me very anxious for you. Be assured, my dear brother, that I cherish the same old love, and my heart responds as ever to all your joys and sorrows. With all my heart I am, as ever,

Your brother,
James.

P. S. — “John Jordan” came to hand a few' days ago. It was news to me in many particulars. Such is “rags and lampblack” fame.

J. A. G.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 392-3

No comments: