Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Lieutenant-Colonel John T. L. Preston to Margaret Junkin Preston, May 19, 1861

Division Headquarters,
Harper's Ferry, May [1]9,1861.

Do you think I have forgotten my little wife? I would write to you daily, if I had time and postage stamps. These latter relics and mementos of things gone by are not to be had, though much sought for in all the camp. Strange! that we should feel the want of stamps when we have declared that we have no need of the government that issued them! I had a stock of them in my trunk, but my trunk is in Staunton.

But the want of stamps is nothing to the want of time. Massie has gone to Richmond with dispatches; Jackson said that I ought to go, but I interceded for Massie, that he might have a few days off duty. While he is gone, I take as much of Jackson's responsibility as I choose. Colonels, captains, and officials of all ranks come to me for orders, for leave of absence, for directions, for privileges, for information. It is precisely, so far as I am concerned, like the superintendency of the Institute, and it is my practice in that sort of work that gives me here more efficiency than men of more ability and more experience. It is astonishing to see how the Institute tells just now. Every man from the oldest to the youngest, who has been connected with it, is looked to for extra service. When Massie is here I do some of the same sort of thing, but mainly I write letters for Jackson, and advise with him as far as I am able. Don't read this letter out of the family, or it would sound egotistic. Of course this takes up my time from morning till night, and sometimes from night almost till morning. I am writing now, in the morning, while everybody but the sentinels and the servants are still in bed. But it is worth while to rise early to see the sunrise here. Busy as I am, I stop the current of other thoughts often during the day, especially at morning and evening, to take a hasty, deep draught of the exceeding beauty around me. I have been with Jackson reconnoitering on the three positions of command, the Virginia Heights, the Maryland Heights, and the ridge behind the little town of Bolivar. We were examining with an eye to defense, but my eye will gaze on beauty wherever it is to be seen. Here beauty is in rich fresco on all the walls of our enceinture. One thought often occurs — [The rest of the letter is lost, and we will never know what that thought was that often occurred to the soldier-professor! ]

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 119-20

No comments: