Saturday, March 28, 2015

Charles Robinson to John Brown, September 14, 1856

Lawrence, Sept. 14, 1856.
Captain John Brown.

My Dear Sir, — I take this opportunity to express to you my sincere gratification that the late report that you were among the killed at the battle of Osawatomie is incorrect. Your course, so far as I have been informed, has been such as to merit the highest praise from every patriot, and I cheerfully accord to you my heartfelt thanks for your prompt, efficient, and timely action against the invaders of our rights and the murderers of our citizens. History will give your name a proud place on her pages, and posterity will pay homage to your heroism in the cause of God and humanity. Trusting that you will conclude to remain in Kansas, and serve “during the war” the cause you have done so much to sustain, and with earnest prayers for your health, and protection from the shafts of death that so thickly beset your path, I subscribe myself,

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
C. Robinson.

OURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 330-1

No comments: