Thursday, March 5, 2015

Diary of Margaret Junkin Preston: June 4, 1862

No letter from Mr. P. today; no mail from Winchester.  . . . Of three of the boys who used to live at my Father's, one is a cripple for life; another is a prisoner of war ; a third lies in a nameless grave, if indeed he ever had burial; and the most distinguished General — certainly the one about whom the whole Confederacy has the most enthusiasm, is our brother-inlaw Jackson, the inmate for years of my Father's house. What strange upheavings and separations this direful war has made!

. . . By way of recording the straits to which wartimes have reduced matters, let me note that today I made my George a jacket out of a worn out old gingham apron! And pants out of an old coat, by piecing the sleeves together. For weeks I have been wearing a pair of slippers which I made myself. Anna's little children were all barefoot the other day, not because she would willingly have them so, but because shoes cannot be bought.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 143-4

No comments: