Sunday, May 24, 2015

John Lothrop Motley to Anna Lothrop Motley, October 18, 1861

Paris, October 18, 1861.

My Dearest Mother:  . . . I have not had an opportunity of seeing the emperor, as he is at Compiegne. I saw the Minister of Foreign Affairs, M. Thouvenel, the other day, and had a long talk. So far as words go, he is satisfactory enough.

You are annoyed with the English press, nevertheless it is right to discriminate. The press is not the government, and the present English government has thus far given us no just cause of offense. Moreover, although we have many bitter haters in England, we have many warm friends. I sent you by the last steamer a speech of my friend Mr. Forster to his constituents. No man in England more thoroughly understands American politics than he does. There are few like him. . . .

Good-by, and God bless you, my dear mother.

Ever your affectionate son,
J. L. M

SOURCE: George William Curtis, editor, The Correspondence of John Lothrop Motley in Two Volumes, Library Edition, Volume 2, p. 207

No comments: