Friday, June 26, 2015

Bayard Taylor to Richard Henry Stoddard, April 23, 1862

Tuesday, April 23.

We are fast getting armed and organized here. An armed band of traitors has been within thirty-seven miles of us. We have night patrols (mine armed with my African swords and spears, in default of better weapons), and are preparing to defend our homes. Cedarcroft will make a good castle. I was out scouting yesterday, and I make patriotic addresses (extemporaneous) every night. To-day I am going into Delaware to stir them up. The people here have acted splendidly, — the women are heroes. Old Quaker women see their sons go, without a tear. One of my aunts yesterday was lamenting that her only boy was not old enough to fight. Money is poured out like water. All the old arms are hauled out and put in order, and ploughshares are beaten into swords. Yesterday we heard heavy cannon, probably at Baltimore. My brother W. is still there, and we can't hear a word from him. Mother is a model of courage and patriotism. She is as cheerful as ever. We feel more safe now than on Sunday, but we are still not beyond danger.

I still hope that I shall be able to go to New York on Thursday. I shall come back as soon as possible, however, for an important reverse of the national arms would very soon bring the enemy here. God bless New York! The country will be saved at last, but these days in which we live are very momentous.

Write to me as often as you can. Don't be alarmed, for in two or three days more we shall be so armed and organized as to be safe against surprise, at least. Love to L. and W. from all of us. The country is lovely.

SOURCE: Marie Hansen-Taylor and Horace E. Scudder, Editors, Life and Letters of Bayard Taylor, Volume 1, p. 376-7

No comments: