Monday, June 15, 2015

James Henley Thornwell to the Reverend Mr. Douglas, December 31, 1860


theglogical Seminary, December 31, 1860.

dearly Beloved Brother John: I am astonished that a man so celebrated for “the milk of human kindness” should be found making himself merry over the sorrows and misfortunes of his brethren. Friend Sanderson might change his opinion of the benevolence of your nature, if he could see how you exult over my crazy back and my tottering understanding. But let me tell you that it is all a libel about the tight boots. That part of the story was made up, and I have never been able to trace it to its author.  * * * * * * * *  In relation to elders, I do not require the Session actually to impose hands, but I prefer that they should do it. The minister, acting in the name, and as Moderator of the Session, is enough. But the members of the Session ought to be present, and ought to give the right hand of fellowship.

I have concluded my reply to Dr. Hodge.1 To me it seems perfectly conclusive. I think I have cornered him on every point that he has made; and I have some curiosity to see how he will get out of the scrape. * * * *

Our affairs of State look threatening; but I believe that we have done right. I do not see any other course that was left to us. I am heart and hand with the State in her move. But it is a time for the people of God to abound in prayer. The Lord alone can guide us to a haven of safety. He can bring light out of darkness, and good out of evil. * * * *

As ever,
J. H. Thornwell.
_______________

1An article, entitled “Church Boards and Presbyterianism,” growing out of the debate in the Assembly at Rochester, which may be found in the fourth volume of the “Collected Writings.”

SOURCE: Benjamin Morgan Palmer, The Life and Letters of James Henley Thornwell, p. 485-6

No comments: