Saturday, June 6, 2015

John Lothrop Motley to Anna Lothrop Mobley, November 11, 1861

Vienna, November 11, 1861.

My Dearest Mother: This is your birthday, and I cannot help writing a line to wish you joy and many happy and healthy returns of it. I am delighted to hear such good accounts of you and A—. I suppose by this time that you are established in town. I received your letter, conjointly with the governor's, of October 12. We are far from comfortable yet. We are at the hotel called the Archduke Charles, where we are pretty well off, but the difficulty of finding apartments is something beyond expression. We have finally decided upon a rather small one, just vacated by the secretary of legation, Mr. Lippitt — a very intelligent man, a classmate of Lowell and Story. He has been here eight years, and is married to a lady of the place, daughter of a banker. He is very useful to me, and is quite sympathetic with my political views. I have had two interviews with Count Rechberg, the Minister of Foreign Affairs. He received me with great cordiality, and informed me that my appointment had given very great pleasure to the emperor and the government, and that I was very well known to them by reputation. I am to have my formal audience of the emperor day after to-morrow; but I am already accredited by delivering an official copy of my letter of credence to the Minister of Foreign Affairs. I have made the acquaintance of several of my colleagues. We dine with the English ambassador, Lord Bloomfield, to-morrow. He was secretary of embassy at St. Petersburg twenty years ago, when I was secretary of legation, and he received me like an old acquaintance. Lady Bloomfield is very amiable and friendly, and very kind and helpful to Mary in her puzzling commencements in official life. There is always much bother and boredom at setting off. When we have once shaken down into the ruts we shall go on well enough, no doubt. But our thoughts are ever at home. I never knew how intensely anxious I was till now that I am so far away. I get the telegrams in advance of the press through my bankers, and Mary always begins to weep and wail before I open them. I do wish we could receive one good piece of news. But I am not disheartened. I feel perfect confidence that the great result cannot be but good and noble. As I am not an optimist by nature, and far from being constitutionally hopeful, there is no harm in my expressing myself thus. We are going through a fiery furnace, but we shall come forth purified. God bless you, my dearest mother. My love to the governor and all, great and small.

Your affectionate son,
J. L. M.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, editor, The Correspondence of John Lothrop Motley in Two Volumes, Library Edition, Volume 2, p. 209-11

No comments: