Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Lieutenant-Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Sardis Birchard, December 15, 1861

Camp Union, Fayetteville, Virginia,
December 15, 1861.

Dear Uncle: — I have often wished since I have been in Virginia that you were well enough to come and spend a few weeks with me. I have never wished it more than now. I am quartered alone in a pleasant cottage house, with plenty to run and do whatever I want done. The weather is lovely. We are drilling our men, building forts, etc., etc., and are undisturbed by the world. The people hereabouts, many of them fresh from the Rebel armies, come in, take the oath, and really behave as if they were sick of it, and wanted to stop. Nothing but ill luck, or a great lack of energy, will prevent our wiping out the Rebellion, The common people of this region want to get back to coffee and salt and sugar, etc., etc., none of which articles can now be got through whole extensive districts of country.

If nothing occurs to prevent, I shall come home in January for thirty days. Will visit you at Fremont, if you do not happen to be in Cincinnati or Columbus. . . .

Good-bye,
R. B. Hayes.
S. BlRCHARD.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 159

No comments: