Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to Governor William Sprague, August 23, 1862

Headquarters Sedgwick's Division,
Near Newport News, August 23, 1862.
Governor:

Understanding that you propose to recommend Colonel C. H. Tompkins, 1st Rhode Island Artillery, for an appointment as Brigadier, I beg leave to say to you that, in my judgment, few better appointments, or better deserved, could be made from the volunteer service. Colonel Tompkins has been upon my staff as Chief of Artillery since I have commanded this division, and has commended himself strongly to me by his attention to his duties and by his zeal and coolness in action, having been of great service to me in all the battles we have shared in. Recently at Malvern Hill, in anticipation of a probable severe engagement, I placed him in command of a brigade in preference to giving it to any of the regimental commanders, believing that it would be safest in his hands.

You are at liberty to make such use of this letter as you see fit, and I shall be very glad if Colonel Tompkins gets his promotion.

I have the honour to be, with much respect,

Your Excellency's most obedient servant,
John Sedgwick,
Major-General Volunteers

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 77-8

No comments: