Saturday, August 15, 2015

John M. Forbes to Congressman Charles B. Sedgwick, June 27, 1862

Boston, June 27,1862.

My Dear Mr. Sedgwick, — I have not heard a word from you since I wrote you an abusive letter because you did not go far enough in your bill. I will take it all back if you are offended, and make the most abject apologies! What is the present market price of a senator? S. was rather dear at fifty, but I suppose he was rather high up on the committee!

When are you coming this way, and when will you and Mrs. Sedgwick give us a visit at Naushon? We shall go there some time next month.

I was sorry, but not surprised, to see that we had had a rebuff at Charleston.1 When I returned from Port Royal, I wrote to Senator Wilson urging reinforcements and predicting disaster if we went without them. I don't think now our forces are safe on the Sea Islands, outside the guns of the navy, without reinforcements.

Very truly yours,
J. M. Forbes.

How beautifully easy you legislators have made money! How valuable your restriction to one hundred millions!
_______________

1 Probably referring to a skirmish at Secessionville, S. C, in which the Union forces were defeated.

SOURCE: Sarah Forbes Hughes, Letters and Recollections of John Murray Forbes, Volume 1, p. 318-9

No comments: