Monday, September 14, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: Monday Morning, October 21, 1861

Willard's Hotel, October 21, 1861,
Monday Morning.

Your letter which spoke of William's bilious fever alarmed my fraternity to such a degree that I got into the saddle Saturday afternoon and found myself here at evening. Yesterday morning I drove out to camp, and found Colonel Dwight prancing about his camp on horseback, and his regiment at their morning inspection. I took a good look at the Colonel's regiment, and was delighted with it. The Colonel's fever had left him. I had a pleasant day yesterday visiting the fortifications near William's camp. I go back to Darnestown immediately.

This country needs a government. Every visit I make to Washington makes me feel hopeless. Nothing is done. Not half enough doing.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 118

No comments: