Tuesday, September 8, 2015

William Barton Rogers to Henry Darwin Rogers, May 17, 1860

Boston, May 17,1860.

My Dear Henry,  . . . On Friday I made my address to the Natural History Society on their thirtieth anniversary, and according to all accounts was more than usually successful. As I did not prepare in writing, I have, of course, nothing permanent to show for it. But I suppose the chief object was attained, and I am content.

I have been making some further experiments on photographing the electrical light, and on binocular vision, the details of which I will send you in my next, with the request, perhaps, that you would present them at the Oxford meeting. I have obtained a very beautiful photographic impression of the stratified discharge, thus showing the absence of actinic as well as luminous rays in the dark interspaces. . . .

Mr. Alger has lately shown me a letter of yours to Herbert Spencer in regard to the publication of the latter's works in this country. He and Mr. Silsbee, of Salem, are interesting themselves in getting subscribers, as I most certainly shall do. Some of Spencer's reviews, which I have read, struck me as very remarkable productions. After a time I am sure that his writings will be in great request with the more liberal thinkers here.

The Constitutional-Union party, at their late convention in Baltimore, nominated Bell, of Tennessee, for President, and Everett for Vice-President. Hillard was one of the chief speakers, and won a shower of bouquets from the ladies. As no opinions were expressed, or principles announced, in regard to any of the stirring questions of the day, of course all went smoothly and pleasantly.

I was saddened to hear yesterday that Theodore Parker has been rapidly going down, and that he is not expected to be able to leave Florence. Desor has been with him, and perhaps is still his companion. But probably you know more of his condition and purposes than we do. . . .

Your affectionate brother,
William.


SOURCE: Emma Savage Rogers & William T. Sedgwick, Life and Letters of William Barton Rogers, Volume 2, p. 33-4

No comments: