Sunday, October 4, 2015

Captain Charles Fessenden Morse, November 22, 1862

Camp Near Sharpsburgh,
November 22, 1862.

Yesterday, I received the great box of clothing which has been the matter of so much interest with us all for the last few weeks. It was in perfect condition and everything was most satisfactory.

All my men are now well provided against the cold, and are as comfortable as they can ever expect to be while they are soldiers.

I forget as to who you told me was the knitter of that pair of patriotic stockings for Sergeant Lundy; she would have felt nattered if she could have seen the expression of thanks on his handsome face as I gave them to him. Hogan also received his pair, pleased at the distinction.
I cannot say for certain that some of the men with slim shanks and long feet didn't, in some cases, receive the stockings designed for thick ankles and chubby feet; but generally, the written instructions were followed out to the letter.

I have tried to write a note of thanks, but it is a very poor expression of them. You know that speech-making and that sort of thing were never in my line, but such as the note is, I enclose it with this epistle and you can circulate it among those of my friends who may be most interested in it.* I believe that the greatest share of the thanks belongs to you, and you must so take it.
_______________

* The note was as follows: — [Click Here].

SOURCE: Charles Fessenden Morse, Letters Written During the Civil War, 1861-1865, p. 106-7

No comments: