Sunday, October 25, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: November 14, 1861

camp Near Seneca, November 14, 1861.

I should have written a line at a shorter interval from my last if I had not been full of work. I decided to move my camp on Tuesday morning, and have given the last two days to making the men comfortable in their new quarters. By some strange mishap, we got upon an unlucky piece of ground for our camp. We were assailed by diarrhoea, — officers and men. But I think I have made a fortunate selection of a new ground, and I am myself feeling much better. Our whole mess was under the weather. As I am left alone in command, I have been obliged to snatch odds and ends of time to be a little sick in. Now, however, we are out upon high, open ground, and have fine, clear sunshine, and we are all well again. I do not wish either to complain or be elate, but I have, this morning, a tranquil satisfaction in obstacles overcome, and sunshine achieved. You know there are times when everything seems to get going wrong. The Colonel seemed to leave the regiment just at that moment. But now we start again.

We never had a more regular, neat, and comely camp than we have to-day. Of course I enjoy that, and I am trying to keep the machine in good order

If there were no one waiting for me, I should try and scribble this sheet full, but, in the end, you would know only that reveille and tattoo succeed one another naturally; that our camp is pleasant, and, I hope, healthy; and that to be major commanding a regiment is a busy life, but, on the whole, a happy one, as lives go. Love to all.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 141-2

No comments: