Saturday, November 14, 2015

General Joseph E Johnston to Senator Louis T. Wigfall, March 14, 1865

raleigh, March 14th, 1865.
My dear Wigfall:

I have just received yours of February 27th. I have been for two weeks looking for an opportunity other than by mail, to send you a letter. But all are reported to me too late.

What you write me of Lee gratifies me beyond measure. In youth and early manhood I loved and admired him more than any man in the world. Since then we have had little intercourse and have become formal in our personal intercourse. A good deal, I think, from change of taste and habits, in one or the other. When we are together former feelings always return. I have long thought that he had forgotten our early friendship: to be convinced that I was mistaken in so thinking would give me inexpressible pleasure. Be assured, however, that Knight of old never fought under his King more loyally than I'll serve under Gen. Lee.1 I have suggested to him what seems to be the only course for us, should Sherman endeavor to join Grant. . . .

As ever yours,
j. e. johnston.
_______________

1 In another letter he speaks of serving under Gen. Lee “as loyally as my father served under his in the first revolution.”

SOURCE: Louise Wigfall Wright, A Southern Girl in ’61, p. 240-1

No comments: