Thursday, January 7, 2016

Major-General John A. Dix to the Federal Union Central Committee, October 22, 1862

FORTRESS MONROE, Oct. 22, 1862.

My name, I see, is again used in connection with a political office, without my knowledge or consent. I shall remain at my post, doing all I can to sustain the Government in putting down the rebellion; and at a moment when the existence of the nation is hanging on a thread I cannot leave my duties here to be drawn into any party strife. Neither will I ever assent to any adjustment of the contest with the insurgent States which shall acknowledge their success.

The rebellion began in fraud, dishonor, and violence, and must end in submission to the Constitution and the laws. The Secession leaders have put the contest on grounds which would make success on their part indelible disgrace to us.

In my sphere of duty my intention is to carry on the war, without either violence to the Constitution or to the principles of justice and humanity, and to contend to the last to avert a triumph over all that is stable in government or honorable in political companionship.

My whole course through life has proved my devotion to democracy and conservative principles. No assurance should be needed that this faith is unchanged. But at a moment like this, unless all parties will rally round the Government in putting down the rebellion, leaving questions among ourselves to be settled when the national honor is vindicated and our existence as a nation secured, there can be nothing for us in the future but disaster and disgrace.

JOHN A. DIX.

SOURCES: Morgan Dix, Memoirs of John Adams Dix, Volume 2, p. 51-2; “Letter from Gen. Dix to a Friend in New-York,” New York Times, October 26, 1862

No comments: