Sunday, April 24, 2016

Senator William P. Fessenden to James S. Pike, September 12, 1860

Portland, September 12, 1860.

My Dear Sir: All yours received. We are covered all over with glory. I congratulate you and Fred, and everybody else in general and particular.

I was anxious about Fred's election on many accounts. The intelligence I received was not flattering, particularly from Hancock. His nomination was said to be not satisfactory in Bucksport and vicinity, on account of some local feeling, and as they pressed me very strongly to come down and see if I could allay it, I took boat Friday night, and spoke there on Saturday, doing what I could outside by coaxing and swearing. Tuck writes me to-day, giving the vote, and says that I did them good service in various ways. At any rate, the vote is satisfactory. Fred leads, I see, instead of falling behind.

I went to Bangor on Sunday, was taken sick, and had to send for a doctor, but got home on Monday in season to vote, and then went to bed, where I lay until this morning. I am up to-day, and hope to be out again to-morrow, if the weather will allow.

The truth is, I was not in a condition to take any part in the campaign, but nobody would believe it. Our great success must cure me, however, if there is a spark of vitality left.

Now, let other States do their duty, and the rascals are wiped out.

Yours, as always,
W. P. Fessenden.
J. S. Pike, Esq.

SOURCE: James Shepherd Pike, First Blows of the Civil War: The Ten Years of Preliminary Conflict in the United States from 1850 to 1860, p. 525-6

No comments: