Sunday, December 11, 2016

Diary of Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett: Friday, August 26, 1864

This morning after breakfast, Waters came to my tent and told me he had an order from Major Morfit, to send me to his office to go to Richmond! Can it be exchange? If so, God has quickly heard and answered my prayers. I got my baggage together, a cotton haversack, my cane, and wooden foot. In the first I have some tea and hard bread, in the latter nothing! I was carted to Major Morfit in the same old wagon, without springs, waited at his office till seven, when went to the train, waited on the platform till nine. Then the train came jammed full, no lights, no seats, one man with me as guard. I must leave a description of this night for some other place.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 131

No comments: