Wednesday, August 30, 2017

John Brown to John H. Kagi, April 16, 1859

Westport, N. Y., April 16, 1859.

Dear Sir, — I am here, waiting a conveyance to take me home; have been quite prostrated almost the whole time since you left me at John's, with the difficulty in my head and ear, and with the ague in consequence. I am now some better. Had a good visit at Rochester, but did not effect much. Had a first-rate time at Peterboro'; got of Mr. Smith and others nearly one hundred and sixty dollars, and a note (which I think a good one) for two hundred and eighty-five dollars. Mr. S. wrote to Eastern friends to make up at least two thousand dollars, saying he was in for one fifth the amount, I feel encouraged to believe it will soon be done, and wish you to let our folks all round understand how the prospects are. Still, it will be some days (and it may be weeks) before I can get ready to return. I shall not be idle. If you have found my writing-case and papers, please forward them without delay, by express, to Henry Thompson, North Elba, Essex County, N. Y.

Your friend in truth,
B.
J. H. Kagi, Esq.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 522

No comments: